My Dream for the Generation Y

Last night, I had a great time chatting with a friend of mine who is a lecturer in one tertiary institution. We were commenting how Generation Y differs much from our Generation X. Today I received an email from a NUS student, requesting for a face to face interview with them for a school project they wanted to do on Heaven's Gift. Interestingly she listed all the questions she wanted to ask of me, and ended with a note "It will be good if we can have the interview tomorrow or Wednesday..." that's 24 hours notice, and imagine the email was received during my off day;)

I was just reminded of last night conversation, and I was again not surprised at this instant - "want it quick, want it fast" mentality of Generation Y. Do not get me wrong, I don't detest Generation Y, in fact I marvelled and often inspired by this generation. I personally handle a group of them under my regularly church ministry, and I am often amazed of what they can do , and how creative and talented they can be. 2 weeks ago, I gave an assignment for my church youth to write a script for a stage performance, and within few hours, the script was created, my job was only to guide and inspire them to make the script more consolidated and meaningful. And within 2 rehearsals, the entire youth group came up with amazing dance steps, skit etc and it was a well done piece of performance. That's Generation Y. They can come up with an idea almost instantly and they could surprise you with their talents and inspirations. They believe much in themselves, what they can achieve, and they will strive to make it excellent for the very goal they want to achieve. They are resourceful, and have a mind of their own, they are not followers, they are leaders.

Yet, in the midst of such individuality and efficiency, they sometimes forget about patience, tolerance and perseverance. We have received many internship applications, and I often wish I could have the ability to coach every single of those applicants. However, in many of those job applicants' responses, I often sense a lack of willingness to wait, be disciplined and be perfected.

I was reminded how my past mentos have trained us. We were only allowed to be promoted to next step, when we learnt to master the first step.. and often till we were grateful of what we had, we were then given more opportunities. And today, I felt the need to share this part of my heartbeat. I was joking with my pal, I am reaching my forties in few years time, it is so scary.. and yet it is as intriguing because it is the age of achievement and fulfillment. You have grown to master a skill, and you have grown to be grateful of what you have. And at the same time, you know you need to impart to the new generation

So this may be "2 cents worth advice" for the Generation Y, as I know some of you will be reading this post, may this post inspires you to seek more, to humble yourself to relearn some of life steps, and to believe that you can be a great legacy to the next generation.

Generation Y
  1. Do learn to be quick to listen, and slow to speak. Learn to observe what your seniors behave, excel and be willing to listen to their advice. In the presence of counsel, there is wisdom

  2. Be bold to venture into the unknown, follow your heart and pursue your passion. But do it with an awared mind of the cost and consequences. Passion is not just about pursuing dreams, passion is being focus and persever till it becomes a part of you.

  3. Respect your elders - your grandparents, your parents, your teachers, your leaders, your bosses.. submission with humility is great gain. When you learn to make your elders successful, you learn to handle success in your life.

  4. Patience, Perseverance with Tolerance. No success comes easy, no success is made overnight, It is a life journey of learnings and relearnings.. So for now, learn to give others time to catch up with you, and learn to be gracious to others. At the same time, press on don't give up easily when you are stretched or tested.

  5. Finally, learn to let go. I was taught by my ex-boss, you only know you have become a Master when you are willing to let go the very thing that make you one. Sound "chim", but I only understood that much later. When you master a skill or talent, you take time to discipline and perfect it, until you are good at it. But how do you know you have become a Master of it? It is when you are no longer bothered by it, by the perfections, by what people say about you, by the fame or failure that comes with it, you know you have overcome, because you have learnt to let go. This is so true for myself too.. I only really grow when I learn to let go, and share with others.

So I look forward in 10 years time, the new generation of inspiring wedding planners and entrepreneurs.

Comments

Popular Posts